Even though you may not be able to see or smell mold, you can have it growing at your home.

It can contribute for you to feel sick.

The regular doctor will not be of much help here as the conventional medicine does not believe that mold exposure can cause health issues.

Also, it is hard to diagnose somebody with mold toxicity due to it mimics other symptoms and conditions.

These are the symptoms of mold illness:

  • vertigo;
  • tremors;
  • sinus issues, red eyes, and/or blurred vision;
  • headache;
  • tingling and numbness;
  • cramps in the muscles, pains, aches, joint pain wih no inflammatory arthritis, persistent nerve pain, “ice pick” pain;
  • weakness, fatigue, and post-exercise malaise;
  • memory fog, memory issues, trouble with executive function and focus;
  • static “shock”;
  • increased urination;
  • excessive thirst;
  • issues with temerature regulation and night sweats;
  • weight gain despite sufficient effort;
  • metallic taste iin the mouth;
  • abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, appetite changes;
  • persistent nerve pain.

The low-down on mold

Mold is a multiple type of fungi which is growing in filaments. They reproduce by forming very small spores which sprout and fly away. Places where mold grows are damp, warm, and humid, inside and outside. Even if the place where you live is dry, there can appear mold if water leaks somewhere, or if there are poorly ventilated bathrooms, or even floods. It can grow anywhere, attaching your shoes, pets, clothes, carpets, books, furniture, and papers. It can ciruclate in the air system, especially if you do not change the filters.

Water-damaged places create a mixture of contaminants which are present in the air and dust, resulting into a toxic chemical stew. It produces toxic chemicalsnamed mycotoxins that appear in the spores and fragments of mold into the air.

No toxin from the mold is reponsible for all mold illnesses, but the cause is the water-damaged area itself. A recent reviewconnected sinuses as a common source of ongoing mold illnesses.

Why is mold a problem?

Toxicity caused by mold falls under the greater category of biotoxin illnesses which are familiar by the name Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome, or CIRS. According to the author of Life in the Era of Dangerous Buildings, Ritchie Shoemaker, MD, CIRS is a chronic and acute, systematic inflammatory responsewhich is gained through the exposure of water-damaged buildings that have resident toxigenic organisms that include fungi, bacteria, actinomycetes, mycobacterium, and inflammagens. 24% of people are unable to create adequate antibody response and those are that comprise 95% of people that have illnesses which contribute from water-damaged buildings.

Why are people susceptible to mold diseases?

Those 24% of people have a certain immune response gene (HLA-DR), thus if you are among those who have mold susceptible genes, then you are likely to have an adverse reaction to mold whne you are exposed to a sufficient quantity of mold. 95% of the mold illnesses occurs in this subgroup, but there are 2% of people who are susceptible to it, but with a “sticker quicker” variation of the genes. If you are not susceptible, your chances are lower, but are not zero.

Those people who are genetically susceptible to mold are not able to recognize s[ecific toxins as toxins, mold including, thus the mold (toxin) recirculates in their bodies, triggering inflammatory response. Most of them are unaware that they are genetically susceptible.

These illnesses are a serious issue. They do not belong to the group of allergies, but rather they represent a state of chronic inflammation which is caused when the immune system becomes out of whack. CIRS does not heal on its own, it will not abate, and will go on provoking illnesses unless it is properly treated. The illness is built upon DNA and when it is trigerred once, the inflammatory response and the symptoms will last for years.

How to diagnose CIRS?

These are the criteria that have to be met in order to make a diagnosis of CIRS:

  • Any signs, symptoms, or history of biotoxin exposure. If the case is mold toxicity, history has to include toxin-producing mold exposure, and in other cases like ciguatera or mycrocystin, history needs to invlove exposure or lab evidence of exposure;
  • Genetic predisposition to illnesses related to biotoxins based on the identification of an HLA susceptible haplotype;
  • Any abnormalities that have been documented by the VCS testing;
  • Biomakers that consist of neuroimmune, vascular, and endocrine abnormalities which characterize this disease. If there is a history of biotoxin exposure, a susceptible genotype, and an abnormal CVS test you will probably show lab abnormalities that are seen in CIRS.

We suggest you the following steps if you have issues with mold:

Step 1: You can start learning about illnesses connected to mold. Try Dr. Shoemaker’s book.

Step 2: Make a test of mold at your home. ERMI is one of the best tests. You can hire a profssional to do a visual inspection, or perform ERMI on your own for around $325. It is only helpful if it is positive. Better skip the testing, and hire a professional.

Step 3: You can work with trained person at a clinic to do a test performed by Labcorp, panel # 167120.