Many people develop fungal infections at some point in their life, particularly in summer.
Toenails are more frequently affected than the fingernails.
The medical name for a fungal nail infection is onychomycosis.
It’s not usually serious, but can be unpleasant and difficult to treat.
The infection develops slowly and causes the nail to become discolored, thickened and distorted.
Whether or not you decide to have treatment, you should still follow the self-help advice below to help prevent or stop the condition getting worse.
Things You Can TryЧ
- keep your hands and feet clean and dry
- wear well-fitting shoes made of natural materials and clean cotton socks – these will allow your feet to “breathe”
- clip your nails to keep them short – use a separate pair of clippers or scissors for the infected nail
- don’t share towels and socks with other people, and ensure your towels are washed regularly
- don’t walk around barefoot in public pools, showers, and locker rooms – special shower shoes are available to protect your feet
- replace old footwear as it could be the source of the infection
However, if you experience problems with fungal infections, there are various, highly efficient natural home remedies can cure the infection in one or two months.
You only need to soak your feet in:
Baking soda is a readily available staple in most kitchens that can also be used to cure toenail fungus. It will also help neutralize foot odor.
- Add one-half cup of baking soda, one-fourth cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide and one-half cup of Epsom salt to four cups of hot water. Mix the ingredients thoroughly, and then add one-fourth cup of white vinegar to it.
- Soak the affected toenail in this solution for about 10 minutes.
- Wash with clean water and dry your foot thoroughly.
- Repeat the process twice daily for several weeks.
Yogurt is a great cure for foot infections that develop in the area between the nails and toes, as it contains live bacteria- acidophilus. Yogurt contains “friendly” microorganisms which destroy fungal infections.
Soak your feet in yogurt, or simply rub yogurt all over them and leave the yogurt to dry. Then, just wash off with cold water.
If you soak your feet in a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water, you can kill unpleasant fungal infections and prevent them from spreading. Namely, this compound is an ideal tool for destroying bacteria and fungi.
Add 100 milliliters of 3% pharmaceutical grade hydrogen peroxide in one liter of distilled water and soak your feet for 20 minutes every morning and.
Starch is a basic ingredient in many antibacterial and anti-fungal ointments because of its powerful property to absorb moisture.
Mix half a teaspoon of corn starch with a little bit of warm water. Set the oven to 220 degrees and keep the mixture in the oven until it darkens.
Wash and dry your feet, and then rub this mixture onto them, leave it for 1 minute and then wash the mixture off with warm water.